WONCA News – November 2017
The latest WONCA News (November 2017) is accessible via the WONCA website, with lots of WONCA news, views and events. As ever, many articles also appear in Spanish and French.
From the President – November 2017
This month Professor Amanda Howe reports on her visit to Lebanon, where she attended the national meeting of the Lebanese Society of Family Medicine. She also reports on her visit to Tahaddi clinic, which is next to one of the main Palestinian refugee camps, and provides health services to a population who live mostly in shanty housing. Over 65% of these patients are Syrian refugees, while the remaining 35% are Lebanese residents of the area. She met one GP (Dr Dany Daham) who has been there 14 years, and he and his colleagues were, clearly, both highly committed and passionate about the importance of their work. You can read more about the work on the Tahaddi Clinic by logging on to the WONCA website at the link below, and an additional document resource is available to download at the end of the article.
She also reflects on the big recurring ‘discourse’ about how to measure primary health care performance. She has attended two meetings recently – one in Paris (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) and one in Washington DC (the third ‘Starfield Summit’ run by the Robert Graham Center) – but remains troubled that more energy seems to be going into measuring than establishing primary health care in many countries. Read more of Amanda’s reflections at: http://www.globalfamilydoctor.
Mental Health Matters – November Update
In this month’s WONCA News, Professor Chris Dowrick, Chair of the Working Party on Mental Health (WWPMH), highlights the many activities of the working party in the various WONCA regions. In particular he highlights Weng Chin, from the Asia Pacific Region, who has successful launched the new guidance on Non-drug interventions for common mental health problems during the recent Pattaya conference. It’s an excellent document, which WONCA Executive was delighted to endorse at its recent meeting, and we commend it to you. Please download it, use it with your own patients, and share it with your partners and colleagues.
AAFP Helps Colleagues in Puerto Rico after the devastating hurricanes
Kim Yu MD from the USA, is one amazing colleague. Just after the recent hurricane devastated Puerto Rico, Kim took to Facebook and drove a fundraising effort to help her colleagues in Puerto Rico, raising over $62,000 from all the chapters of the American Academy of Family Physicians in just over one week. With these funds she bought 50 generators and has helped collect relief from private planes and distribute aid to over 95 locations, shelters, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, convents, foster homes and more! Kim is currently living in Orange County, California, USA although she grew up and trained in the UK. Read the story of this fantastic effort (and how to donate) on the WONCA website at: http://www.globalfamilydoctor.
Welcome Message from Seoul 2018
In this month’s WONCA News you’ll find a welcome message from Professor Jong Sik Kim, Chair of the Host Organizing Committee for Seoul 2018. Professor Kim reminds us of a couple of deadlines:
However another important deadline is that submissions for workshops at Seoul should be received no later than 31st December 2017. More details, as ever, from the WONCA website: http://www.globalfami